Oct 23, 2010

The Thing About Fumiko


This Sunday's New York Times Style section will contain an essay I wrote about the week my 11-year-old daughter had to carry a flour-sack baby--whom she named Fumiko--to school with her every day--to learn about the responsibilities of teen parenting.
Crazy week in our house!
Here's the link to the article, titled Maternal Wisdom (5 Pounds Worth)...and a photo of the one and only Fumiko himself.
For anyone wondering, he and Hursula Zero (who appeared in The Possibility of Everything) do share a bedroom, but not a cradle.
I'm sure it says something about me that I keep writing about my children's dolls..but I'll leave that conversation for the Comments section.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

The article is beautiful, Hope, and you gave me much to think about in terms of motherless daughters teaching their daughters how to live without them - heartbreaking. I do way too much for my 16-year-old, I need to re-think it!

As for the dolls, two does not a trend make.

vrb said...

Loved the memoir in the Times. My best friend and I both lost our moms way too early, and I have experienced the envy. Thank you for giving words to it, and for letting me know that I am not alone.

Betsy said...

I just read the essay, two months late, and had to track you down to tell you the many ways in which it moved me. Your description of your relationship with your daughter, the loss of your mother, coming to grips with your eventual leave taking of your daughter, all of it, just shook me right to the core. Thank you for sharing Fumiko, and all his gifts, with us.